This section provides information about visa application and residence requirements in Hungary for all CEU students. Please review the table below or menu to the left, and select the category which applies to your circumstances.
Hungary joined the Schengen Area in late 2007 and consequently the country has tightened its security within its borders.
Foreigners in Hungary are required by law to carry with them proper identity document and show it to the local authorities upon request. So please ensure to carry your passport or national ID card at all times: the Police can fine anyone up to 150.000 Ft for failing to show a valid passport or a national ID card.
According to Hungarian law all international students must fulfill all requirements for residency in Hungary: failure to do so will result in the termination of enrollment.
|Citizens of Visa Required Countries to Hungary||Citizens of Visa Free Countries to Hungary. List of countries: see here||Citizens of EEA Member States|
|New arrivals||Citizens of visa required countries to Hungary, starting studies at CEU - see here||Citizens of visa free countries, starting studies at CEU - see here||Citizens of EEA member states, starting studies at CEU - see here|
|Continuing students - see here||Citizens of visa required countries to Hungary, continuing (Master's or PhD) studies at CEU - see here||Citizens of visa free countries, continuing studies (Master's or PhD) at CEU - see here
||Citizens of EEA member states, continuing (Master's or PhD) studies at CEU - see here|
|Family members - see here|
If you have any questions or need assistance, do not hesitate to contact us:
For questions or consultation contact:
Richard Kartosonto, Student Life Officer
Student Services Center, Nador u.9. Ground floor
Immigration Office information:
Address: 1117 Budapest, Budafoki ut 60.
Regular office hours:
- Monday: 8.30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 1:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon (on this day the office is open only for international students)
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- Take bus # 133E or 233E (These two buses do NOT run from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) towards Nagyteteny or Budateteny from Blaha Lujza Ter, Astoria or Keleti Palyaudvar (all along the Red Metro Line) or from Ferenciek Tere (along the Blue Metro Line). Get off at the stop "Hengermalom út" and cross the zebra to reach the Immigration Office (use the entrance at Sztregova koz).
- From "Deak ter" take tram No. 47 or 49 to "Moricz Zsigmond korter".
- From "Moricz Zsigmond korter" take bus No. 33 to "Hengermalom ut" stop.