Dan Sperber is a French social and cognitive scientist. He is the author numerous articles in anthropology, linguistics, philosophy and psychology and of three books: Rethinking Symbolism (Cambridge UP 1975), On Anthropological Knowledge (Cambridge UP 1985), and Explaining Culture (Blackwell 1996). In these three books, He has developed a naturalistic approach to culture under the name of ‘epidemiology of representations’. Dan Sperber is also the co-author, with Deirdre Wilson (Department of Linguistics, University College, London) of Relevance: Communication and Cognition (Blackwell 1986 – Second Revised Edition, 1995) and of Relevance and meaning (Cambridge UP, forthcoming). Dan Sperber and Deirdre Wilson have developed a cognitive approach to communication known as ‘Relevance Theory’. Both the epidemiology of representations and relevance theory have been influential and also controversial.
Dan Sperber holds an emeritus research professorship at the French Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) in Paris, a part-time professorship at the Department of Cognitive Science of the Central European University in Budapest, and is the director of the International Cognition and Culture Institute. He has held visiting positions at Cambridge University, the British Academy, University College London, the London School of Economics, the Van Leer Institute in Jerusalem, the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, Princeton University, the University of Michigan, the University of Hong-Kong, and the University of Chicago.
He is Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy, Foreign honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and member of the Academia Europaea. He has been the first laureate of the Claude Lévi-Strauss Prize in 2009.
Click a term to initiate a search.
- Department of Medieval Studies (127)
- Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy and International Relations (109)
- Department of Economics (99)
- Department of History (69)
- Department of Political Science (55)
- Department of International Relations and European Studies (51)
- Department of Cognitive Science (50)
- Department of Public Policy (48)
- CEU Business School (47)
- Department of Legal Studies (42)
- History and Medieval Studies (141)
- Political Science (81)
- International Relations and European Studies (65)
- Public Policy (54)
- Environmental and Energy Studies (53)
- Sociology and Social Anthropology (50)
- Economics (43)
- Nationalism and Religious Studies (42)
- Business and Management Studies (31)
- Cognitive Science (30)
- Philosophy (27)
- Development Studies (26)
- Human Rights Studies (24)
- Constitutions, Law and Regulation (22)
- Mathematics (22)
- Gender Studies (21)
- Media and Communications (18)
- Arts and Culture (12)