Associate Professor at the Central European University in Budapest. Senior Research Associate, Deputy Program Director "Migration", the leader of the research sub-area EU Enlargement and the Labor Markets and former Deputy Director of Research (2009) at the Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in Bonn, Germany.
Martin Kahanec has held several advisory positions (the World Bank, the European Commission, OECD, etc.). Member of several professional associations (AEA, ESPE, EALE, EEA) and a founding member and Fellow of the Slovak Economic Association.
His main research interests are Labour and Population Economics, Ethnicity, Migration, and reforms in Central Eastern European labor markets.
He has published in international refereed journals, contributed a number of chapters in edited volumes including the Oxford Handbook of Economic Inequality (OxfordUP), and he has edited scientific volumes and journal special issues. He is the Managing Editor of the IZA Journal of European Labor Studies.
Martin Kahanec earned his Ph.D. in Economics in 2006 from the Center for Economic Research (CentER), Tilburg University, the Netherlands, with his thesis "Social Interaction and the Labor Market: Essays on Earnings Inequality, Labor Substitutability, and Segregation." During his doctoral studies, he spent several months as a Marie-Curie Fellow at the Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) of Université Toulouse 1 Sciences Sociales in France and the European Center for Advanced Research in Economics and Statistics (ECARES) of Université Libre de Bruxelles in Belgium. Prior to his doctoral studies, in 2000 he earned his Master's degree from the Central European University in Budapest as well as from the Faculty of management, Comenius University, in Bratislava, where he also earned his Bachelor's degree in 1998.
Click a term to initiate a search.
- Department of Medieval Studies (127)
- Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy and International Relations (109)
- Department of Economics (99)
- Department of History (69)
- Department of Political Science (55)
- Department of International Relations and European Studies (51)
- Department of Cognitive Science (50)
- Department of Public Policy (48)
- CEU Business School (47)
- Department of Legal Studies (42)
- History and Medieval Studies (141)
- Political Science (81)
- International Relations and European Studies (65)
- Public Policy (54)
- Environmental and Energy Studies (53)
- Sociology and Social Anthropology (50)
- Economics (43)
- Nationalism and Religious Studies (42)
- Business and Management Studies (31)
- Cognitive Science (30)
- Philosophy (27)
- Development Studies (26)
- Human Rights Studies (24)
- Constitutions, Law and Regulation (22)
- Mathematics (22)
- Gender Studies (21)
- Media and Communications (18)
- Arts and Culture (12)