Aleh Cherp is a professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy. In 2010-2012 Prof. Cherp served as the Academic Secretary and in 2008-2012 as the Research Director of CEU. His research interests include energy security and sustainable development strategies under transitions. He is the Convening Lead Analyst on Energy Security of the Global Energy Assessment and has undertaken professional work for the European Environment Agency (EEA), UNDP, UNICEF, WHO, the World Bank, and USAID among others. He has also served on the editorial boards of several journals.
He was the Rapporteur of the Advisory Working Group on the Environment (including Climate Change) of the Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) of the European Commission, the evaluator of the European Research Council and the coordinator for MESPOM, the Erasmus Mundus Masters course in Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management, which CEU operates jointly with Lund University (Sweden), the University of Manchester (UK), the University of the Aegean (Greece), the Middlebury College and the Monterey Institute for International Relations (USA) and the University of Saskatchewan (Canada). He is also a visiting professor at Lund University, Swedish Agricultural University and Blekinge Institute of Technology (Sweden).
Prior to joining CEU in 2000, he earned his Masters and PhD at Manchester University and worked with NGOs and the United Nations in Central Asia, Russia and Belarus. He also founded an Environmental NGO in Moscow during the political change in the Former Soviet Union. His first degree was in Physics.
Click a term to initiate a search.
- Department of Medieval Studies (127)
- Doctoral School of Political Science, Public Policy and International Relations (109)
- Department of Economics (99)
- Department of History (69)
- Department of Political Science (55)
- Department of International Relations and European Studies (51)
- Department of Cognitive Science (50)
- Department of Public Policy (48)
- CEU Business School (47)
- Department of Legal Studies (42)
- History and Medieval Studies (141)
- Political Science (81)
- International Relations and European Studies (65)
- Public Policy (54)
- Environmental and Energy Studies (53)
- Sociology and Social Anthropology (50)
- Economics (43)
- Nationalism and Religious Studies (42)
- Business and Management Studies (31)
- Cognitive Science (30)
- Philosophy (27)
- Development Studies (26)
- Human Rights Studies (24)
- Constitutions, Law and Regulation (22)
- Mathematics (22)
- Gender Studies (21)
- Media and Communications (18)
- Arts and Culture (12)