How to Apply
Before applying, please be sure to read ALL of the information on this page.
Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
1. Completed online CEU Application Form
2. Letters of recommendation
3. Academic records
4. A full curriculum vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any
5. Department- and program-specific requirements (statement of purpose, research proposal, additional test scores, etc.)
6. Proof of English proficiency
7. Application fee
- All application materials must be submitted on-line with the application form (with the exception of letters of recommendation, which may be mailed if your recommenders are unable to complete them online). Materials sent by postal mail, electronic mail or fax are not considered. Should you have any questions or issues regarding the application form, check the CEU Online Application Form FAQ's or Embark's support pages.
- You may apply to two departments simultaneously and to any number of degree programs within each department. You will be considered by the departments in the order they are ranked in your applications (preferred department vs. alternative department.) Please note that if you are going to apply for multiple programs, whether delivered by one or more departments, you will need to submit a separate application for each program.
- CEU charges an application fee of 40 USD. For more information, please go here.
- Send your application only when it is 100% final and complete. You cannot edit an application after it has been submitted, and we do not accept materials sent in alternative ways.
- You can track your progress and learn the outcome of your application online. Please go here to find out more about this feature.
- Non-degree candidates should submit the application form and documents required for non-degree and visiting students.
- CEU does not return application documents, or provide copies thereof under any circumstances.
You must have two (or, for certain doctoral programs, three) confidential letters of recommendation submitted assessing your ability to conduct graduate-level work, and potential for a successful academic or professional career. The letters of recommendation must be written by faculty members or job supervisors – i.e. people most familiar with your academic and/or professional abilities and character – in English, and sent by the recommenders via Embark's online recommendation form (OREC) for each application submitted by the same deadline as the application itself.
- Recommenders are provided access to the OREC by an automated email sent to them when they are registered in an online application. For assistance with the OREC, please go here if you are an applicant or here if you are a recommender.
- Recommenders with poor or no Internet connection or inadequate computer literacy may send their letters of recommendation by regular (postal) mail. In such cases, the recommender should provide one copy for each department the applicant is applying to, place each copy in a separate envelope, sign it across the seal, and mail it to CEU’s Admissions Office at Nador u. 9, 1051 Budapest, Hungary. Please note that regardless of the way a recommendation is sent, it must reach CEU by the relevant application deadline.
- CEU does not accept letters of recommendation whose contents are known by the candidates concerned.
- CEU does not consider emailed or faxed recommendations.
You must submit with your online application form a scanned image of
- an official English version/translation of your full Bachelor's (and, for doctoral programs, Master's) transcript (transcript = an official report supplied by a school on the record of an individual student, listing subjects studied and grades received), including an explanation of the grading system, and
- an official English version/translation of your Bachelor's (and, for doctoral programs, Master's) diploma.
- An official English translation bears the stamp and signature of a sworn translator or an authorized official of the institution that has issued the original. It should contain the stamp and signature on each page or over a folded and fastened corner of the document, and include a statement of authenticity in English.
- Applicants in the process of completing a degree program must submit an interim transcript and, in place of the diploma, a certificate of enrollment confirming their student status and, if possible, stating their expected date of graduation. Applicants having completed their degree program and having yet to receive their diploma must submit a certificate of graduation.
- Those applicants that have taken courses at more than one institution as part of their degree program must have an official transcript submitted from each school.
- Those applicants applying for a one-year Master’s program at CEU that have earned a three-year undergraduate degree and have completed or are, at the time of application, completing a Master’s program at another university must submit, in addition to their Bachelor’s transcript and diploma, their Master’s transcript (and diploma, if already available) with their application.
These may include a statement of purpose, a research proposal, writing samples, additional test scores, etc. Each department has different requirements, which are listed in the relevant section on the departmental websites. (Read some useful tips about writing the Statement of Purpose).
This is defined as an official score report from one of the English-language examinations listed under Language Requirements. Please submit a copy of your score report with your application (or by February 16, 2013 at the latest), or request exemption from the English testing requirement, if applicable. Candidates applying by January 24, 2013 are eligible to take the CEU-administered institutional TOEFL. Admitted students must provide documentary evidence of their scores prior to enrollment.
CEU charges an application fee of 40 USD for each applicant, which allows them to be considered for up to 2 departments and for any number of programs within each department in one admission cycle. The application fee is non-refundable and will not be waived: all applicants are subject to submit this fee regardless of nationality or financial circumstances. The fee must be paid before the first application is submitted in an admission cycle.
- The fee should be paid by bank card or, for those with a US bank account, electronic check using the Embark online application system. If you are unable to pay in either of these ways, use wire transfer (please click here for payment information.) Once you have made a transfer, please email the transfer confirmation to email@example.com. Please note that if you wire transfer your application fee, your application will not be processed until your payment has been received and processed.
- Track your payment status online via your application.
- For any of the programs of the CEU Business School, no application fee is currently charged.
Phone: (+36-1) 327 3009 / 327 3272 / 327 3208 / 327 3210
Fax: (+36-1) 327 3211